The exchange is a retail store, typically set up like a department store or strip mall with smaller shops and service vendors nearby. You'll find an exchange on many installations. Some include uniform shops, barbershops, laundry and dry cleaning, gas stations and convenience stores, fast food outlets, and lawn and garden shops.
You can shop at the exchange if you're in one of these groups:
- Uniformed-service members (active, reserve or retired)
- Medal of Honor recipients
- Honorably-discharged veterans with 100 percent service-connected disability
- Department of Defense civilian employees stationed outside the United States
- Authorized family members
- National Guard members not in federal status
- Military members of foreign nations
Each service has a different name for its exchange. Start shopping your service's exchange website (yes, you can shop online), or use the store locators listed below.