MWR would like to invite you to participate in their Inaugural Art Exhibit! We are hoping this will become an annual event that we have to offer. The Art Exhibit is planned for August 12, 2021 at the H-D-I Federal Center. Exact room location and times to be decided due to COVID-19 restrictions.
All MWR patrons can participate in this event! This includes Military members, DoD Employees, Retirees, Contractors, Veterans, and their families!
For the art competition there will be a category for all patrons who are 18 and older and a category for children ages 5-17. Veterans who are registered with the VA Medical Center can also be entered into the 2021 VA Creative Arts Festival in which these artworks will be judged against other Veterans with the chance to earn a place in the National competition! To register for this special competition please email Steven.Gales@dla.mil or call 269-961-7032
There are over 50 categories in which your artwork may be entered: Everything from Fine Arts to Applied Arts and Kits! Brochure with category and rules will be shared when they become available.
Any artwork entered must be created after April 1, 2020. Artworks must be submitted to MWR staff in room 2-1-66 by July 30, 2021. All paintings, drawings, watercolors, photographs, and graphics should be framed and ready for hanging.
For more information on this event, contact Steven Gales at 269-961-7032 or Steven.Gales@dla.mil
Section 1: Fine Arts
- Acrylic Painting
- Oil Painting
- Monochromatic Drawing
- Colored Drawing
- Pyrography Design
- Print Making
- B&W Photography
- Color Photography
- Digital Art*
- Military Combat*
*13. Digital Art
Art that was created using digital technology in the process of its creation. The work is created entirely with a computer and includes 2D graphics as well as 3D graphics. All original entries must be printed, mounted and framed to qualify for this competition.
It is REQUIRED that the software programs used be listed in the “mediums/techniques used” section of the entry form. ANIMATION AND VIDEOS WILL BE DISQUALIFIED. Digitally enhanced photography goes in category 11 or 12.
*14. Military Combat Experience
Requires combat duty in WWII, Korean War, Vietnam, Gulf War or current combat operations. Your art must relate to your personal experience in that conflict and
provide a statement, consisting of 25 to 225 words, explaining how the art relates to that experience, composed by you or VA staff contact person. The medium used must be a fine art or applied art medium. Kits are not allowed. For this category there is NO restriction when the artwork was created.
Artwork entered previously in this category will not be accepted.
Section 2: APPLIED ARTS
15. Glazed Ceramics
16. Stained/Painted Ceramics
19. Jewelry (not beaded)
20. Crochet / Knitting
24. Needlework/Original Design
25. Fiber Arts/Original Design
27. Leather Stamping
28. Leather Carving/Tooling
29. Metal Work
32. Scroll Saw/Fret Work
33. Mixed Media
34. Group Art*
*34. Group Art Category
A single art entry created by a group of no more than eight Veterans
Section 3: Kits
36. Wood Building
37. Model (Plastic)
38. String Art
39. Latch Hook
40. Craft Coloring
41. Figurine Painting
43. Suncatcher/Sand Art
44. Fabric Art
45. Needle Work Kits
46. Transfer/Engraving Art
48. Combined Kits
Special Recognition Categories
Special Recognition Categories
Each entry must include a written statement (25 - 225 words) of why the Veteran is deserving of special recognition, plus consent form to release medical or health information. Entries and written statements should focus on how the arts are used by the individual(s) to rise above severe limitations. Entries submitted into the Arts Special Recognition categories can be in the Fine Arts, Applied Arts or Kits division. Judging is based on the written narrative as well as the skill involved in the artwork.
49. Physical Disability
Entries that recognize individuals who exhibit creative expression through the visual arts while possessing significant physical limitations.
50. Mental Health Challenges
Entries that recognize individuals who exhibit creative expression through the visual arts while possessing significant emotional or mental health challenges.
MWRts Festival Rules
- MWR Patrons are eligible to include: Active Duty Military, Retired Military, DOD Employees, 100% Disabled Veterans, Veterans and their families and other patrons authorized by the DLA Installation Management Site Director.
- Adult Categories will be ages 18 and up., Youth categories will be Ages 5-17.
- All artworks entered (except for the Military Combat Experience, category 14) must have been completed after April 1, 2020.
- All artworks must be submitted to MWR staff in room 2-1-66 by July 30, 2021. All paintings, drawings, watercolors, photographs, and graphics should be framed and ready for display. (POC: Steven Gales, 269-961-7032 or Steven.Gales@dla.mil)
- Participants may only submit one entry per category.
- No one Participant will be allowed to enter more than three art categories and one group category.
- A consent form (Consent for Production and Use of Verbal or Written Statements, Photographs, Digital Images, and/or Video or Audio Recordings by VA) must be completed and signed by every Participant entering the competition. Parents/Guardians will sign consent for youth entries.
- Participants may not expand the number of their entries in any one division using a different name (for example: pen names, stage names, different artist names, etc.).
- For Participants who wish to also be entered in the VA Competition, please contact Steven Gales for additional guidelines.