REPORT ABUSE AND NEGLECT
If you suspect abuse or neglect, call 855-444-3911 any time day or night. This toll-free phone number allows you to report abuse or neglect of any child or adult to the Michigan Department of Human Services.
One Number. One Call. One Person can make a difference.
Child Abuse and Neglect:
Child abuse causes or attempts to cause physical, emotional, or developmental harm to a child in one's care. The physical injury, sexual maltreatment, deprivation or necessities, or other maltreatment of a child by a parent, guardian, employee of a residential facility, or any person providing out-of-home care, who is responsible for the child's welfare is harmed or threatened. The term encompasses both acts and omissions on the part of such a responsible person. This term includes offenders whose relationship is outside of the family and includes, but is not limited to, individuals known to the child and living or visiting in the same residence who are unrelated to the victim by blood or marriage, and individuals unknown to the victim.
5 Categories of Abuse:
- Physical Abuse - committing an act that harms a child physically
- Physical Neglect - failing to provide the basic things a child needs; the parent does not do something for the child.
- Emotional Abuse - providing for a child's physical needs but verbally damaging thier emotional and mental health
- Emotional Neglect - providing the physical necessities but emotionally ignoring the child.
- Sexual Abuse - sexually mistreating a child.